Tuesday 23 November 2010

Floating In A Most Peculiar Way

A few weeks ago io9 published their list of the greatest zero-gravity sex scenes of all time. They're NSFW so I haven't embedded them here but it's an interesting list. Now I'm nowhere near ready to direct my first sex scene, but I am planning to shoot a weightless scene later this week - so that probably makes me the only person on the whole Internet who watched these videos purely for research purposes. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

There are some common techniques:

  • smooth rotation
  • shots taken from a progression of angles
  • extreme close-ups
  • shallow depth of field
  • slow motion
  • drifting props

My budget won't stretch to either an Inception-style rotating set or a high-altitude flight. I do have space to set up a large bluescreen plus a camera dolly, and I have a few other tricks up my sleeve I'm dying to try out - so let's see how we get on. Meanwhile, here's a music video with freefall that's work-safe and still awesome - thanks to Dyeve for the suggestion.

No comments: